What We Do:
- Serve as ITA lead for five public-private export expansion partnerships under the Department’s Market Development Cooperator Program.
- Serve as ITA lead for four Industry Trade Advisory Committees to ensure U.S. industry’s voice is included in trade policy development for the building products, chemicals, forest products, and steel industries.
- Serve as ITA co-lead for U.S. government-led green building standards projects in the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation forum.
- Represent ITA in numerous U.S. government interagency working groups geared to advancing the competitiveness of OMI industries.
- Develop and recommend U.S. policy positions for multilateral and bilateral discussions related to the U.S. building products, chemicals, and metals industries.
- Provide information, trade data, and industry analysis to the U.S. business community, policymakers, and trade negotiators.
- Provide export assistance, including advocacy and business counseling, to help U.S. building products, chemicals, and metals exporters penetrate new international markets, increase export market share, and resolve specific market access and development challenges.
Public-Private Partnerships – Market Development Cooperator Program
An MDCP award establishes a partnership between ITA and non-profit industry groups such as trade associations and chambers of commerce, which are particularly effective in reaching small- and medium-size businesses. The non-profit groups compete for a limited number of MDCP awards by proposing innovative projects that generate exports that create or sustain U.S. jobs. OMI staff serve as ITA lead for the following MDCP partnerships:
- U.S.-China Build – MDCP partnership with the Evergreen Building Products Association geared to expanding U.S. building products exports to China.
- Standards & Codes for Green Building – MDCP partnership with ASTM International focused on education on standards and codes for sustainable construction, Gulf Region.
- Green Cities – MDCP partnership with Portland Development Council focused on green building services and product exports to multiple markets.
- Plumbing Code – MDCP partnership with International Association of Plumbing & Mechanical Officials to develop and implement a uniform plumbing code in Indonesia.
- Cosmetics and Personal Care – MDCP partnership with Center for International Trade Development at Long Beach City College to promote cosmetics and personal care product exports.
OMI regularly seeks the input of Industry Trade Advisory Committees (ITAC) to enhance the competitiveness of U.S. industries. OMI currently serves as ITA lead for four ITACs:
- Industry Trade Advisory Committee on Chemicals, Pharmaceuticals, Health/Science Products and Services (ITAC 3)
- Industry Trade Advisory Committee on Forest Products (ITAC 7)
- Industry Trade Advisory Committee on Building Materials, Construction, and Nonferrous Metals (ITAC 9)
- Industry Trade Advisory Committee on Steel (ITAC 12)